Thursday, January 01, 2009

Gen. 1: So This is the New Year!!! da...da......da...da...and I don't feel any different...da...da


Yep, great Death Cab song.
So this year I am hoping to read through the Bible by reading a few chapters each day in a chronological order. I have never been very strong in any discipline, my bane really, but I truly do grow a lot, and receive critical perspective when I read God's word. In fact, that was always the intent of this blog, (that I never update...the bane) was to use it to share ideas that inevitably come from readings that I like to dig into. Like a dog, however pathetic, my digging often simply ends in a mess...but if there is anything that can come out, if even an old bone, my hope is that I can put it into words here.
So, as I read the greatest book from the beginning, about the beginning today I am reminded that God's creation of us in his image, means (among many things) that we are in fact to create ourselves...perhaps not out of nothing (ex-nihilo) as only God can do, but we can take the bits and pieces that we have and work/hope for them to become something amazing.
At the end of the day, I am not convinced that the goal of the New Year is to feel incredibly different. Certainly, there is nothing really in the substance of this day that can differentiate itself from any other really...after all every day God's Spirit is hovering, every day we have things that we must steward, we make choices that honor, encourage and bless others, and we make choices that cause us to be ashamed and hide. Every single day is a gift, and I am thankful that on this day people stop and remember a fraction of that great truth!
Genesis 1-3 today...and if you would like to read along please let me know and you could follow this link: http://www.ewordtoday.com/year/31/cjan01.htm

2 comments:

Jenny said...

i'm excited to hear what you have to say this coming year...

I've been reading through the Jesus Storybook Bible with Wes (already in the new testament- take that!) but I too was struck by the creation story...

It says:

So God breathed life into Adam and Eve. When they opened their eyes, the first thing they ever saw was God's face. And when God saw them he was like a new dad. "You look like me," he said. "You're the most beautiful thing I've ever made!"

Having a child has made me think about what an honor it is to be created in God's image and I'm still trying to figure out what that means and what I'm supposed to do with it.

Rebekah said...

Thanks for sharing your heart here Chris I am so excited to share in this with you and I look forward to your insight, it is always so rich in wisdom!